Friday, November 10, 2023

The Earworm

In the barren wasteland of my mind is a small hole in the ground. 

Within that hole, a creature lives a quiet and unassuming life, far away from the reaches of my cognition. 

I don't know him very well, but he recently began whistling a tune. I have never heard this tune before, but it is the catchiest darn melody I've ever encountered. 

I really can't remember this ever happening before. I've been writing songs for the better part of 10 years and I usually labor laboriously over the melodies. If you haven't noticed, words come way more easily. 

But for the last 3 weeks, this catchy little quirky melody has been whistling in my head day and night nonstop. Such noise for a usually empty brain! 

This little earworm creature usually is pleased to play songs I've heard before like "It's a Small World After All" or "Baby Shark", and for that, I'm hoping an earbird comes along and eats him. 

But alas, I'm stuck with a new, original, unforgiving melody. 

I feel like it's a great allegory for life (don't I always when searching for blog material?). Sometimes, we strive so hard for something that will happen almost by complete accident later. When it does come, all we need to do is let it happen and enjoy it. 

Lately, I've found tremendous comfort in just letting things happen. 

But enough with the snow job. This melody is driving me crazy. Hoping for meaningful lyrics!


...or an early earbird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment