Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Last of the First Generation: Dr. Ralph Stanley

My posts are usually brimming with light-hearted humor, but today, the bluegrass community feels the sting from the passing of Dr. Ralph Edmund Stanley. I had the distinct honor to have been Dr. Stanley's liaison at the 2015 Huck Finn Jubilee. That was by far one of the highlights of my life. My siblings and I love collecting old records, and one of my favorites is the Stanley Brothers' Columbia Sessions. There is no mistaking the unique banjo picking style and high tenor voice of Ralph Stanley along with the impeccable songwriting and vocals of his brother Carter.

Dr. Stanley will be missed, but never forgotten! This is my tribute to him.

After Bill Monroe set the music industry on fire with his unique brand of country music later known as bluegrass, another band took the music scene by storm. This band was led by two brothers from the Clinch Mountains in Virginia: Carter and Ralph Stanley. Their music became as iconic as the genre itself, with songs like "Molly and Tenbrooks", "Man of Constant Sorrow", "Clinch Mountain Backstep", "Angel Band" and so much more. So powerful was their sound, that they became the second bluegrass band ever to become members of the Grand Ole Opry.

Since that time, Dr. Ralph Stanley impacted so many young musicians' lives with his music. He won several Grammys, made it to the top of the country charts with his collaborations with Josh Turner and the "Down From the Mountain" tour/"O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack, received several honorary doctorates, and discovered such talents as Ricky Skaggs, Keith Whitley, and Larry Sparks.

Bill Monroe became close to the Stanley Brothers and after the untimely death of Carter, Bill Monroe sang an acappella rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" at his funeral. Then, placing his hand on Carter's casket, he said "We will meet again." 30 years later, at Bill Monroe's funeral, Ralph Stanley sang an acappella rendition of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and turned to his casket and said "We will meet again.", just as Monroe did at Carter's funeral.


I looked over Jordan and what did i see?
Coming for to carry me home
There was a band of angels, coming after me
Coming for to carry me home

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home
Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home

I'm sometimes up, and i'm sometimes down
Coming for to carry me home
But but i know my soul is heavenward bound
Coming for to carry me home

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home
Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home

If you get there before I do
Coming for to carry me home
Tell all my friends that I'm coming too
Coming for to carry me home

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home
Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home

RIP Dr. Ralph Edmund Stanley 1927-2016
We will meet again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm crying and trying to type. My heart is broken . My thoughts prayers and heart are with his family .

    ReplyDelete