Tuesday, June 27, 2023

The Wide Wide West

 If you live anywhere in the Western half of America, you are quite aware of the massive size of this whole region. If you don't live there, take our word for it. You can trust us.

I have just made the trek past Arizona and New Mexico, a voyage that took all the daylight hours we have, plus a few hours of night driving on either side. I watched the scenery change from desert, to desert with rocks, to rocks with desert. The sky was bright blue all day and every possible color at dusk. The music on the mighty Bluetooth speakers ranged from Bill Monroe to Toto, Prague Philharmonic to Willie Nelson, and George Strait to Joe Venuti. If you get a chance, I recommend with my whole being that you take a 20+ hour road trip to display your entire playlist. We even got a chance to indulge in Ranger Doug's Classic Cowboy Corral on Sirius XM. If a perfect day is a day where you can listen to all the music you want, the day could not have been more perfect. 

Every year, I forget just how long it takes to drive across our beautiful United States. In my most humble (but always correct) opinion, it's a perfect way to transition from the daily hustle into a sort of alternate universe where one city doesn't spill into the next, but where your vision is uninterrupted beyond the end of the highway in front of you. It's a good way to fully change the proverbial channel to my favorite program: Road Trippin and Pickin Bluegrass. I've said this before so I'll say it again: I've said this before --I will never grow tired of traveling and picking. 

Today, I write to you from Rodeo Grounds, a coffee shop here in Stephenville, TX. I haunt this place frequently when I'm here, and I would hope I can haunt this place when I'm here no longer. I wake every morning on the Bosque (pronounced BOZ-kee for those of you who haven't haunted this place yet) and watch a golden Texas sun filter through gargantuan pecan trees. Then, I walk to this place for a cup of coffee and a chance to enjoy being on this side of the wide, wide west. Can't beat it with a stick. 


-----

See us on the Road this summer!

7/1 - Jefferson, TX 6:30pm

7/2 - Jefferson, TX 

7/4 - Franklin, TN

8/2 - 8/6 - OC Fair, Costa Mesa, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment