Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Waiting as Fast as I Can

 Picture this: you are working from the road, or you make a cool social media post and are waiting for your friends to react, or you are awaiting the next soul-crushing news headline that you're so obviously addicted to, when all of a sudden, your travels take you to a place so remote that nothing, and I mean NOTHING on any smart device works. 

I'm assuming your first impulse is something like "oh no, my soul-crushing news headline that I'm so obviously addicted to!" And if it is, we're not that different after all. 

Such was a recent experience here. But I got to enjoy something special right after that incident: Nothing. 

That's right. Nothing. No notifications, no social media, no anything. That's incredibly special. 

If you get the chance, please go somewhere no one can find you and be alone with your thoughts. I promise it's not as dangerous as your therapist would have you believe. Ok, granted, it might be too, if it's worded like that. 

Facetious wisecracking aside; don't underestimate the power of a "smart device" fast. I've made it a point this past year to spend quality time alone with my own thoughts and to really work out some deep thinking. I find it to be immeasurably valuable to mental and spiritual health. 

Do you know who you are? Do you know what you want? Do you know why these things are that way? No matter your answer, turn off your smart device, grab a fishing pole, find a remote and scenic location and face yourself. You'll thank me later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment