Monday, August 29, 2016

Bluegrass Breakdown Ep. 4: The Cuckoo

We all know that sometimes, bluegrass lyrics make a little less than a good amount of sense. That's what I'm here for. I will explain the meaning of bluegrass songs verse by verse. Today we visit The Osborne Brothers' The Cuckoo.


Oh, the cuckoo she's a pretty bird
She warbles as she flies
But I never give her water
Till the fourth day of July.

Okay, starting with the chorus: Flying feathered friends you say? Nonsense. "The Cuckoo" is the name of the author's car. He named it that because it makes a delightful "Cuckoo" sound when it drives with a dry radiator. Also it's a 1973 Thunderbird, that's why he calls it a pretty bird. His thirsty bird is noisy, and it would not even start on a hot day like July 4th with an empty radiator. Also Thirsty Bird sounds like a band name. Someone make that happen, please.

It is often that I wonder
Why women love men
And I look back and I wonder
Why men are men.

The first two lines are answered by the next two lines. Why do women waste their time when men really love their precious 1973 Thunderbird that makes really awesome noises?  Because men will be men. Boom. I've just solved the biggest mystery in the history of mysteries.

Gonna build me a castle
On a mountain so high
So then I can see my true love
As she passes by.

Let me set the scene for you. *Phone Rings* "Hello?" "Hi, I'm just in the neighborhood and was gonna stop by and say 'hey'" *Click*. Now you have to run around the house and cram everything in The Closet because company is literally at your doorstep unexpectedly. Sound familiar? The only solution is to build a castle (because it's hard to cross the moat), build it on high ground so you can see people coming for miles and miles.

Jack of Diamonds, Jack of Diamonds
I know you of old
You have robbed my poor pockets
Of silver and the gold.

If you've seen this man, call the authorities immediately. Long blonde hair, no facial hair, blue eyes, pale complexion, last seen holding a sword, last seen wearing a red, yellow, and blue uniform. Alias: Two-Eyed Jack, Two-Faced Jack, and Harold. Wanted for Robbery, and public possession of swords.

There you have it! One of the most confusing bluegrass songs explained. I must admit I had to call my special committee in for a conference in which we spent countless restless hours sifting through lyricist theories like the Warble Fly being referenced as a metaphor for one who is basically a parasite, and the Jack of Diamonds verse being about gambling addictions. My special committee and I worked tirelessly to bring you this completely accurate interpretation. They all are on vacation now.

Is there another song that has confusing lyrics? Let me know! I can explain them to you on the next episode of the Bluegrass Breakdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment